Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Rogue Chapter 4

Rogue





Chapter 4




Bella

I can feel him watching me as I twirl my fork, winding the noodles around it before bringing it to my mouth to taste it.

This is probably the best spaghetti I have ever tasted. I can’t imagine anyone buying a restaurant to serve substandard food in but there are plenty of them out there. Edward Masen Sr is a businessman after all, and a successful one at that. If you know how to generate income like this man does, you would damn sure have the quality to back it up, and that he does!

I take a peek over at him and the resemblance in their features are amazing. He is definitely his father’s son. Granted he is older with greying around the temples and wisps of it run evenly through the same mess of hair as Masens. I find myself checking him out strange. I mean he is old enough to be my father but damn that is what Masen is going to look like when he is older.

Would I do him?

I almost choke on my own question! What the hell is wrong with me? I wipe my mouth and shift in my chair uncomfortably.
Jesus, I don’t even know where that came from.


‘I so would and I know it’  fucking hell...shut up Bella!

He catches my gaze and flashes me this warm and stunning smile that makes my heart flutter.  I have never been on the receiving end of a look like that from a man like him.  It startles me a little but I manage to smile back at him, because I can’t help it really. There is just something about this family that gives off a positive energy, well most of the family anyway.

Yeah I know how absurd that sounds, but I   don’t think I am that far off the mark. They are nothing like the five families we eliminated.

Those bastards were evil to the core. There is so much greed and hate between those low lives, it seeped out of every one of them, tainted the air around them. It felt toxic to be around those people and I honestly don’t feel the least bit guilty about it. I cannot imagine the number of vile things these people have done to their own flesh and blood all for greed.

For a moment I think of Stephan. I knew out of that bunch, he was the approachable one. It didn’t take me long to realize out of the entire lot of them all, he was the only one that seemed halfway human. His good looks were also a plus. He was handsome at 6’2 and his athletic build. His daily workout made it easier for me to get closer to him. Seeing him at the gym, watching him, I knew he was going to be the one I targeted.

“Isabella?”

I hear my name and look up at my father. He gives me a worried glance and I realize I zoned out.

“I am sorry what was that?”

“Masen asked you a question.”

I look over at him and he is eyeing me suspiciously. “I apologize, it has been a long day.” I lie. “Forgive me?” I give him a small pleading smile hoping I don’t offend him.

“Is your dinner okay?”

“Oh, yeah it is delicious.” I pick up my glass of wine and take a small sip of it when Edward Sr. addresses my father.

“Swan, my son posed a couple of questions before you arrived, and these were questions I too was wondering myself if you would be willing to answer them.”

“Ask me anything.” My father gives him his undivided attention.

“The files you just provided on your phone regarding your extensive training in the military answers a few of them, however, I am extremely curious about your daughter here, the young lady’s background must be quite as impressive as well...that is if she were older. Can you explain how she has accomplished so much?”

“As I just showed you my military background, I guess you can see where she would get it from. I raised her all on my own. Her mother died in childbirth, I was able to remain stationed at base after she was born. I could raise her and remain in the military but my days of special operations ended right before Renee gave birth. At the time I didn’t know it would be my last time out in the field because from that moment on, Isabella was all I focused on. My life took a drastic turn, I was suddenly a single parent raising a fragile little girl. I had to make a choice. Grow soft and nurture her like a mother would, or toughen her up from the beginning like her father. It wasn’t a hard decision, since my life involved things that civilians have no idea of. I have a very violent history and I am sure I am on a few hit lists all over the world. I had to teach her everything I knew. She has to be able to take care of herself if anything were to happen to me. I am all she has and she is all I have.”

“Are you saying you trained her like a soldier?” he asks.

“I guess you could call it that, but I didn’t do it alone. There were others in and out of her life that made their own impact on her,” he smiles over at me and I return it. His words bring back every teacher I ever had. .

I  decided to speak for myself, not liking the way I was being discussed as if I weren’t here.

“He turned me into a tomboy. I blame him for my other outside interests. I learned from the best. Not only my father, but other teachers I had while growing up. I practice a few forms of Martial arts my favorite being Jeet Kune Do, I am also into kickboxing, I work out with a trainer, and I have learned how to shoot with speed and accuracy by the fastest man out there….”

“Excuse me for interrupting but did you just say Jeet Kune Do?” Masen asks and I glance over to see him looking at me in disbelief.

“Yes, along with a few others.”

“Who taught you?” He stares at me with the most intense look.

“I did.” my father replies, and Masen looks over at Charlie as his brows lift and his lip curls up and I don’t like it. He looks as if he is about to tell my father he is full of shit.

He couldn’t be more wrong.

Masen is smart, I know about his college education and his ability to retain everything. He is brilliant,  but so is my father and Masen seems hesitant to ask that one question, so Charlie goads him a little.

“Be like water.” Charlie smirks, and I can’t help but giggle watching them. My father is leading Masen down the path and Masen is taking his bait.

Masen’s eyes brighten as he glances back and forth between us. I can see the questions burning deep within him.  

“When was the last time you were enrolled?” He stares at Charlie now, and I know what he is trying to ask without actually saying the words.

“Why not just ask me what you really want to know.” Charlie grins, and I am enjoying this little game they are playing. I can see Masen’s father and grandfather looking confused watching them.

“You are telling me you were one of his students?” He finally manages to get out causing my father to chuckle.

“Who are we talking about here?” Edward Senior asks looking a little irritated at being left out of the conversation.

Masen glances at his father but returns his gaze back towards Charlie and shakes his head as if he is trying to deny the name as it rolls off his tongue.

“Bruce Lee.”

Charlie’s smile widens and I find Masen’s expression in response amusing.

“I have a profound respect for the art but I don’t practice it. Never had time and sadly he was long gone before I ever would have been able to, but given the chance, I would have made the time.”

“So would I.” I add and Masen looks at me with a brow lifting up on one side. “You are practicing it!”

I roll my eyes, “With my father, yes we do but if I had the choice, sadly it wouldn’t be him. I would want to learn from Bruce himself, I mean really can you imagine?”

He is looking at me a little differently now, it's almost like this starry eyed look he has. I keep from trying not to laugh.

“And yes, I am trained in it, maybe someday I can demonstrate.”

Masen’s eyes lit up even more, but something in him flipped like a switch. He reeled that excitement right back in and reached for his glass taking a drink.

“In answer to your questions Mr. Masen, I  started learning at a very young age, before I was even five I was already enrolled in Tae kwon do classes and gymnastics. Having him for a father, there wasn’t anything that was impossible to learn where I was concerned. Children are like sponges, and my father wanted to make sure I absorbed everything he knew and even more.”

Masen sits back farther in his chair and his focus is on Charlie now.

“You want me to put everyone and everything in my organization on the line because you taught your daughter how to kill at an early age?” He is drumming his fingertips on the table.

“I don’t believe I said any thing of the sort. It is a simple request for help. You certainly aren’t obligated in any way, but I have to warn you that we have every intention of going forward with this plan whether you join us or not. We will succeed, as I said, whether you join us or not, makes no difference to me."

“Ah but it does, or you wouldn't be here.” His gaze is intense as he watches Charlie.

“Touche.” my father smirks.

“If you want me to agree to help you, the two of you are going to have to share some pretty convincing evidence that you can pull this off, other than your daughter's physical capabilities.”

“You are welcome to join me when I go back out to Los Angeles to gain intelligence and set up our headquarters.”

His eyes widen slightly and then almost gleam at my suggestion. He pushes his plate forward and rests his elbows on the table leaning in closer towards me, and says in a low seductive voice, “and when does this little trip take place?”

I can’t believe he is doing this right in front of our parents. It is that same seductive look he used on me when he was dancing with me.

I know I am going to have to answer for bailing out on him at the club. He is probably pretty pissed off about that even though he hasn’t said anything yet. I am sure once I am alone with him, he is definitely going to call me out on it.

“I leave tomorrow evening. Flying out on Daddy’s jet.”

Anthony Senior stands up and moving around his chair. “It is time for this old man to retire, but before I do,” He stops next to Masen and grips his hand on his shoulder forcing him to sit back. I almost laugh at the action.
“Grandson, for the benefit of this family, it is my advice that you consider what the Swan family is offering. I mean it.” His eyes are locked on his grandsons, and I see Edward nod just a fraction.

“Your mother would kick your ass for putting your elbows on the table, show them that Masen men are gentlemen and apologize to Mr. Swan for blatantly flirting with his daughter right in front of him, though I cannot say I blame you.” He walks around and stands between Masen and I and holds out his hand for me to take and I do. He turns it over and kisses the back of it and says, “You are a beauty unlike any I have ever seen young lady, forgive my grandson for being so rude.”  he smiles softly and slowly turns away, shuffling his feet as he moves through the door that must be  the kitchen.

“I cannot believe he is over a hundred years old!” Mr. Masen shakes his head chuckling.

Edward stands up, wipes his mouth with his napkin, walks around the table and moves to stand next to where my father is seated. I stiffen up, not sure what his intentions are and he must see me out of the corner of his eye, because I am ready to stand as well, but he turns to look at me giving me an expression to assure me he means no harm.

I still don’t trust him.

He has already pointed his gun at us both once. He damn well better expect that I will do the same in return and that I will remember it. He is lucky he didn’t get a butter knife shoved up his fine ass.

He holds out his hand, “So long as we vow right here to remain honest and forthcoming in this venture, I will back you, and I can speak for the others as well.”

Charlie stands up, takes his hand and shakes it firmly with a grin. “I have no problem with providing nothing but loyalty to this family. It would be an honor.”

Then Masen leans in and whispers something in Charlie's ear and I see his mustache lift as he smirks listening to him. I am dying to know what he is saying but I can’t hear him! Charlie then leans in replying in a whisper, and I am flipping pissed now! What in the hell is the big secret between them?!

We leave shortly after I provide Masen with the information of when and where to meet me at the airport.

I am sitting next to my father and I just can’t let it go.

“Care to share this big secret between you two?” I step out on to the balcony of our hotel room where he is smoking.

Tao_Ruspoli_28829.jpg

He exhales a puff of smoke and looks out over the city, “It is between me and him.” his expression tells me that this amuses him so whatever is said can’t be too bad.

I frown and cross my arms looking out at the city lights.

He extinguishes his cigarette and stands up,“You know better than to pout with me, that shit don’t work on me young lady. Maybe you can ask Masen once you get him up in the air. Just try not to kill each other before you both come back down to earth.”  He leans in whispering that last part as he walks past me and goes back inside and I hear him laugh.

I pull out my cell phone and open my app and wait for it.

I can hear music but nothing else. I frown.

I look out over the city and wonder where he is now.

4f23ef7aa0b02782aa801adfc0cfb058.jpg

Masen

“Yeah, I am headed over there now. I need  to check on him. He is taking this hard man, I don’t know what else to do, I will call you when I get to where I am going.”

I end the call and make my way down towards Jasper’s place. I throw open his door and walk in not even bothering to knock. I stand here staring at him as he freezes where he sits.

"WHAT IN THE FUCK, are you doing?"

"Nothing, man." he says, dropping the object in his hand.

" BULLSHIT Jasper! REALLY?! What. In. The. Fuck. Do. You. Think. You. Are. Doing?!"

I just caught him red fucking handed! He cannot fucking deny it! I walk in on him as he has his nose to a straw, a straw to a mirror that has a white line of powder laid out across it. It looks half gone, and he was sniffing it just as I walked in!

I slam his door and damn fucking hard too so that everyone can hear it. The pictures on the walls shake from the impact.

He tosses the mirror on to his desk, the object he was holding rolls across the line of powder and off onto the desk then onto his floor.

I reach in and pull out my Glock so fast and rush towards his desk, pressing the barrel of cold steel up against his forehead hard to make my point.

"Is this what you want? Is this WHAT YOU FUCKING WANT? TO DIE?"

I cock the hammer back to release a bullet into the chamber keeping it pressed against his forehead hard.

"Answer me Motherfucker!"

“MAYBE I FUCKING DO! DO IT! I GOT NOTHING LEFT ANYWAY SO WHY THE FUCK NOT?”

He is suicidal and me killing him isn’t going to make it all go away. I put my gun away and pick up the shit off his desk and head for the bathroom with it. I flush it down the toilet and I throw the mirror in the trash and smash it. I storm back out to find him lighting a cigarette and he throws himself down on the couch.

“You look like shit man.” I say.

“Yeah and per usual you look like a fucking supermodel, so fuck off.” he takes a deep pull off his cigarette.

“Fuck you.” I sit down on the edge of his coffee table and I get serious.

“Jasper, I am worried about you man. You are going to get over this. I know you are hurt, I understand I do, but it isn’t the end of the fucking world. She isn’t worth it man. You deserve better.”

“I love her.”

“I know you do, but you have to accept what is and that is all there is. She is gone.”

“I swear I want to kill him.”

“You don’t think I haven’t already considered it man? But here is the thing, if we did kill him, do you think she is going to come running back to you and if she does is that what you want?”

“Fuck no.”

“Do me a favor while I am gone, stay clean. I don’t want to come back and bury my best friend. I swear to God I will bring your ass back and kill you myself. Don’t do that to me man. Don’t make me have to bury you.” His eyes are welling up with tears and I swallow back my own emotion.

She fucked him up. I could kill her myself but you can’t help who you fall in love with and she doesn’t love him anymore. She told me so herself.

“Alice is not coming back.” He fucking bursts into tears and all I could do was fucking comfort him. I hugged him and let him cry it out.

This is so awkward but it’s Jasper, he is my best fucking friend ever. I have to do whatever to help him. He doesn’t deserve this. She doesn’t deserve him anyway. He just needs time.

I stand up and go grab a few napkins and bring them back to him dropping them in his lap.

“Look, I have to go, I am headed out of town, I will fill you in when I get back, but keep an eye on things for me while I am gone.”

He nods, not even looking up at me.

“When I get back we are going to have a serious talk man. I have some shit to tell you that is going to blow your fucking mind.” I head for the door.

“You going to be okay?” I ask before I take my leave.

“Yeah man. I think I am going to call up Emmett and see if he wants to go out or something.” he looks fucking pathetic.

“Perfect, sounds like a good plan man.” I leave him sitting on the couch and make my way back down to the car.

Edgar has my door open before I get to it, I climb in just as my phone rings. I don’t recognize the number and answer it, “Yeah?”

“Are you on the way?” her voice rings through my ear and I can't help but grin to myself.

“How did you get my number?” I ask.

“You are kidding me right?” she laughs.

“No, I am not. Really, how did you get this number?” There is no way anyone would have given it to her without asking me first. This number is so fucking secure I am baffled as to how she got it.

“You are not the only technological wizard in the world Masen. There are hundreds of your kind out there, and not even you can stay off the grid. In fact, a computer genius like you makes it easier to track you. You leave trails all over the place.”

I laugh,  “So, so, so, very naive of you Miss Swan. You don't really believe that, all those trails, will lead you nowhere, go ahead follow them.” I counter.

“I did.” and I realize that she got this number somehow, but how?

“I’ve got you now, since you are almost here, I will see you on the plane.” and with that she hangs up.

“What the fuck is that supposed to mean?” I yell staring at my phone.

We pull up to the gate and I don’t wait letting myself out of the car.  I glance around and take in my surroundings, my eyes focus on the jet sitting on the tarmac.

Edgar follows behind me with my luggage, as we make our way towards the stairs. He wishes me a safe trip handing off my luggage to an attendant and I head up the stairs to board the plane. 

“Hello you must be Mr. Masen, Miss Swan is expecting you.” a stewardess greets me at the entrance and leads me inside.

I take in the design of the plane. I am impressed.  A pretty fancy toy that had to cost a fortune.

She is sitting in a large leather seat, her long legs crossed, while focused on her phone. “Damn, that is accurate.”

I narrow my eyes at her, and move to stand across from her. The stewardess excuses herself and walks away. Bella looks up from her phone and flashes me the most devilish smile. I reluctantly take my seat across from her. The hair on the back of my neck is standing up.

“Technology is awesome isn’t it?” There is a gleam in her beautiful brown eyes.

“That it is.” I stare at her wondering what in the hell she is doing that seems to thrill her.

She reaches out, takes my hand turning it over. I watch her fascinated by the buzz from the contact of her skin. She goes for my watch and runs her finger along it and slides something off it. I can barely see a glint of metal and when I do, it hits me what she just did to me over the last twenty four fucking hours.

I see red. Mothefucking RED! I lunge out of my chair and have her around the throat before she can even react. My reaction surprised the fuck out of her, and I squeeze tighter to drive my point home. “You are playing one deadly game little girl, you want to be a part of this world? Well if you think for a minute that you are fucking better at this game than I am you have another thing coming. I just boarded your plane with unchecked luggage, so don’t fuck with me. If I die, so do you, and don’t you ever fucking track me again or I will bring you back to Daddy in pieces!”

Her eyes are blazing daggers, her fingers clawing at my hand trying to loosen my grip on her throat. I ease up and get ready for her to return the attack before I let go.

I let her peel my fingers off her throat and slowly back away as she looks down. If she is trying to get me to look away it isn’t working. I won’t let my guard down. Not with her, not ever.

She lets out a soft cough. I didn’t choke her completely but I let her know I could and I would.

I slowly step back, take my seat while she rubs at her throat. Her eyes slowly meet mine and I am a little startled to see she looks as if she is about to cry. I still don’t fucking trust her, and I am not falling for it. After reading the things that her father has done last night in his files, I know what she is capable of, and that doesn’t include the shit she has learned from others.

She could have used her martial arts training on me just now, and I am not really sure why she didn’t, but I don’t care to ask either. I can’t let her think that she has the upper hand ever. She could break me physically most likely, but I don’t fucking care. A bullet works just as well as a fucking round kick. Actually better.

“I owe you an apology.” she whispers. “That was uncalled for. I was testing it. I should have tested it on someone a little more willing.” Her eyes meet mine and my heart beat fucking speeds up.

I want her. I want to do things to her that are dark and twisted, and I want to do them to her while she looks at me just like this.

She pouts and it’s the sexiest fucking look I have ever seen.  

This is going to be one hell of a trip.

RobsHandMonkey

No comments:

Post a Comment